Tuesday, July 21, 2009

No.1 Competitor

“If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be lesser and better persons than yourself”

This line from the “Desiderata” articulates the simplest idea of being humble, of living life with no envy or insecurity, of appreciating rather than comparing, of accepting rather than competing.

However, there will always be competition. Our species now exists for we had the highest advantage of survival. We competed with the most dangerous predators for food. We challenged the very weather that obliterated species millions of years ago. Competition is an instinctual pattern for survival. There is always competition. If so, to whom do we compete?

I had to compete with everyone in order to be the best in school. You have to be competitive to be on top, and when others are pulling you down, you have to kick them and let them fall on their ass. It was ego inflating to be on top when everyone else was below you. The recognition, achievements, respect, and fame are valued as much as self-worth. Yes, back then I measure self-worth through how others perceive me, and I bet most of us quantify it this way.

I competed with everyone. Then I met my No. 1 competitor. The “I”.

I learned that competition begets comparison, and comparison begets envy, insecurity and selfishness. It is a great feeling to be recognized by others, but isn’t it better to be recognized by yourself? No matter how others perceive you, you always have the final call, what do I think of myself? You’ve gone from a long war, defeating “enemies” and “foes” it was a happy being victorious, but was it fulfilling? Does the joy of victory stays?

“I” am the number one competitor of “myself”. And this is the only competition where no one loses: for when you lose, you learn, and when you win, you realize. Strive to defeat yourself; this is a life long war.

3 comments:

  1. nice one..


    ang gnda nito...


    e2 fav qu...

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice :3 ang cool mo gumawa nn mga essays..haha..:)) supah luv

    ReplyDelete